Sunday, October 24, 2010

Officially lost...

The official start of the journey has begun. The homeschool journey.

According to my facilitator (which I just met yesterday - 2 months into the "school year") I am just continuing with what I have been doing since my kids were born.
Um....no, it is different. But whatev.

I am discovering I am not as unschooly as I thought I would be.
I'm really trying to discover our balance between unschooling and classical education. I'm wondering if I can somehow blend the 2 extremes together. Perhaps Classical Unschoolation? I

The lack of time available for me to spend 1:1 (or 1:2) with my kids tells me that I must unschool. But pretty much that just looks like *lazy* to me (no offense to anyone who unschools...I just don't have the time or resources to present my kids with suitable opportunity to explore and learn on their own due to the millions of kids I have running around here 50 hours a week).

My kind and sweet facilitator told me that I could not stop my kids from learning, even if I tried...so I should just relax. She stressed how God was in control, even though I may like to think that I am in control. Sure, God is in control of the big picture. But I can't pass off everything to Him. I'm thinking my son and I both have to make some sort of effort to learn about the Great, Big, Wonderful Earth.

I feel as though I have done an exhaustive study on homeschool philosophies and will end up being one of those "ecclectic" crazies that can't commit to anything.

My son just came out of the bedroom screaming "Mom! I need tusks!!"
Hmmmm

No comments: