Sunday, July 22, 2007

Playing with Fire(pit)


Elijah was playing in the firepit last week.
At the time, Cris was busy creating a beautiful walkway / patio in our yard and I was busy trying to de-clutter and clean the house and occupy our high-maintenance Toviel.
So, for sure....we were closely supervising him...totally. 100%. No doubt about it. C.L.O.S.E. supervision.
It didn't take Elijah long to realize his hands were getting dirty, so he came to the door and yelled, "Mommy!! Mommy!! I need to wash my hands!"
As I was taking his shoes off, I was telling him that his arms and clothes and face were all dirty too. I held him up to the mirror so he could see the soot on his face. FREAK OUT! That's what he did. My little clean freak doesn't like being dirty.
When I was washing his hands off, he was using self-talk to calm himself down. Then he turned to me and said, "It's no big deal, mommy. Just don't hold my face up to the mirror." Out of sight, out of mind I guess.

No comments: