Thursday, March 29, 2007

The measured strength of the brain

Toviel had his appointment for his EEG today at Alberta Children's Hospital. It was at 1:30 pm and we arrived with Toviel well fed and well rested.

It was then that we were informed that Toviel was supposed to arrive tired because he was supposed to sleep during the EEG. oops.

"It's okay," the technician said, "maybe you could try to lull him into sleep or at least a sleepy state by nursing him." Great, his tank had just been topped up only a few minutes prior to his appointment. Double oops.

It seems we weren't told the appropriate information.

After the technician got the electrodes all stuck to Toviel's head (quite traumatic for him) she wrapped his head in bandages of gauze to keep it all in place and told me to try to put him to sleep by cuddling and nursing him. Now, he rarely goes to sleep while nursing and he most often falls asleep while I lightly stroke and tickle his head, which was all bandaged up at that moment. I was feeling pretty defeated before the EEG even started.

But I worked my mommy-charm and I had that little baby asleep in my arms in 20 minutes. And when Baby T spat that soother out of his mouth and flashed me a little "sleep grin", it took all that was in me to not laugh. And when my entire left leg fell asleep from toe to hip it took all that was in me to not move it around so the blood could flow again, and when the bed rail was digging into my back and making a permanent indent in my skin, it took all that was in me to just grit my teeth and stay motionless for the remainder of the test. Then, Toviel started to kick his leg up and down, then his eyes opened up and he gave me that wonderful I'm-so-happy-to-see-you-it's-been-such-a-long-time-since-I've-seen-you coo just 5 minutes after falling asleep. And I breathed a sigh of relief and giggled, moved my leg and scootched away from the bed rail.

Just before the end of the test, I had to force Toviel's eyelids closed for 5 seconds twice. The second time I did it, Toviel's eyelid strength overcame my finger strength and he peeked one of his eyes open. I told the technician and she said, "Oh, I know. I could see it on the screen." I was amazed that she could see his brain waves change with a simple eye opening. She said that he had very strong brain waves and that with some people the brain wave change wouldn't be so obvious. I was very proud of my strong-brain-waved son. Way to go Tove!

After the test was complete, the technician, knowing we lived out of town, wanted to see if we had an appointment booked to see the neurologist. So she took me down the hall and asked if they could check. Sure enough, we were booked in for 3 pm that day (it was 2:45 when I found out). I'm sure glad the EEG tech was on her toes, otherwise we'd have just come right back home and missed our appointment that no one had told us about.

Stay tuned to hear what the neurologist had to say....
Do Toviel's strong brain waves indicated he is advanced and will be a prodigy? (did I spell that right? As you can see, I'm no prodigy. prodagy? prodaigie? pradigie? praudigee?)
Does Little Toviel have super-human powers locked up in that little brain of his??

No comments: