Sunday, June 17, 2007

The O.C.

I must say that God did a great job when he made the Oregon Coast. White sandy beaches, a pounding ocean, huge rocks jutting out of the ocean...

...What more could you want? What else is worthy of 391 pictures taken on our camera? (I know that probably doesn't seem like much to you, MJ). I LOVE the ocean!
It turns out that Toviel loves the beach. As in, he loves to eat it. It took Elijah a little longer to warm up to the beach. The first day there I asked him if he liked the sand. "No," he said.
"What about the ocean?"
"No, I don't like the ocean," he replied.
"Oh," I said. "Well, is there anything at the beach that you DO like?"
"Yah," he said, "I like our car."

By the end, though, he was having lots of fun.


Being in the States, several differences between Canada and the USA struck me that I never noticed before (not that I spend oodles of time in the States or anything)....

1) They don't have coffee shops. They have espresso shops. And they all seem to be drive-thru espresso shops.

2) Cement. Tons and tons of cement. Their on and off ramps to overpasses extend ten times as far as ours. And they stack their roads! One on top of the other!

3) 4 lane highway? What's a 4 lane highway in the states? Probably a side street. Their highways are 8 lanes wide.


We traversed 3500 km in just 4 days, which was probably the worst part of the trip. Driving 4 entire out of 9 days away sort of sucked. What amazes me, apart from the fact that I survived that, was that my kids survived it. Not only did they survive it, they survived it with little to no fussing.
Elijah watched the Cars Movie a thousand times (well, he actually just likes the watch the races, so he watches the beginning and then fast forwards to the end and does that over and over and over again), and Toviel slept about a thousand hours. I would say that there was a few minutes of fussing here and there, but I think I probably fussed just as much.
By the end of the trip, I paid little regard to the speed limit and saw 2 cars ahead of us on 2 seperate occassions take the fall for us. So we didn't even have to pay for our speeding permit. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love the pics of the beach and all of you. What's a speeding permit??