Monday, January 8, 2007

My point of view

In the midst of reaching out for help with postpartum depression (PPD), I have been asked several times by several people "Are your children safe? Are you going to hurt your baby?"

You've got to be kidding me, right?

I mean, I know PPD can do weird things to you, but just because I'm having difficulty doesn't automatically put my baby or toddler in danger.

I'm the one who doesn't want Toviel to sleep within 3 feet of the clock radio to protect him from the electromagnetic field that the radio may create. (Can you say 'Anal'?)
I'm also the one who insisits on "airing out" our new dining room table and chairs for a few months before setting them up to omit the possible dangers of any residual VOC's that may be off-gased from the new furniture into my children's brains.
I'm the one who has thrown away the bounce dryer sheets and replaced Tide with Seventh Generation, a natural laundry detergent to minimize exposure of chemicals to my dear ones.
And have you ever seen the way I wash grapes when I cannot buy the organic ones?
And you want to know if I am capable of hurting my children? Wha???

My children are very safe with me. Safe as safe could be. More than safe. Even though I feel sad.
Sometimes, procedures make me laugh. I'm glad I have a doctor who doesn't lump me in a category or tell me that if I need to fit into a certain box.

Note to self: Community-based programs are not the best place to turn to when you need some help.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So....are you getting some help with SOMEONE? I thought you were over PPD as you seemed to be A-ok. while here....but then I'm just your mom. ha. Does this have to do with hormones? I realize that some women DO harm their kids but know you will not do that or harm anyone and especially yourself...'cause your kids would have not a mom then. Love you