Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Body, Mind, and Spirit

I have a friend who had an ultrasound today because she is 18 or 19 weeks pregnant. Those types of ultrasounds are so exciting! I love seeing those creepy pictures of a baby's skeletal/internal systems. I love the little spine. It's so amazing.

I also had an ultrasound today. But it wasn't anything exciting. I spent the entire time looking at the computer screen trying to guess what I was seeing and the only one I think I guessed correctly was my aorta. And that was just because it was "lub-dubbing" like my heart.

I got an abdominal and a pelvic ultrasound done because of a dull pain I've been having in my abdomen. My waist has also increased in size and feels harder than normal (which is probably still squishy feeling to others) and I feel like I have bricks or rocks in my stomach. (Don't even joke about me possibly being pregnant!)

I fear the results will show nothing. My doctor said she thinks I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome, but I disagree because my bowels don't feel irritable at all. I feel irritable because of these weights and aches in my tummy though. My sister pointed out to me the time line in which this feeling has started. It started mid-January sometime. Cris was handed his letter of employment termination on January 16th. So I'm wondering if the "baggage" I'm carrying around from this whole event is being carried around in my abdomen. Someone once told me that your body tells you what your mind refuses to acknowledge and your spirit chooses to ignore.

The really interesting part is that since January 19th, Cris has been having chest pain. His doctor's first guess is that it's a peptic ulcer. His second guess is the sac around his heart is inflamed. He has gone for several tests including a barium (yum) test, an ECG, and some other strange breath test. Is it weird that we both started having atypical physical symptoms around the same time that we started feeling emotionally hurt?

No comments: