Tuesday, February 20, 2007

I want to see God

I overheard Elijah singing yesterday. He was singing the song "Open the eyes of my heart Lord" and then started singing the line "I want to see You" over and over again. I thought it was pretty cute because he was banging on his drum set while singing it and he seemed pretty intense.

Then he stopped and got my attention. "Mommy," he said, "I want to see God."

Wow. My not-yet-3-year-old said this. I said, "Yes...we all do. And one day you will."

Then he said, "I want to see heaven."

My jaw dropped. I have spoken to Elijah about God and Jesus, but to my knowledge I have never mentioned heaven. My reasoning for that is because I don't want his little mind to get caught up with the idea that God and Jesus are in heaven looking down on us. I want him to feel as though God and Jesus are with us here on earth and that our life is made full with God being with us at the moment, and not just some far off hope that we will get to be with Him in heaven. I guess this is because I often find my motivation for some things is the hope I have of spending eternity in heaven instead of being motivated by the rewards of living life to the fullest on earth through worshipping God through my actions and thoughts. In other words, just being obedient not because of a reward but because of a love. blah blah blah. anyways....

I'm starting to think Elijah has some innate knowledge of all things before he is even taught them. He's such an amazing person. No one has kids as great as mine. Sorry people. It's true. I did get the best.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thatis so cute!
Sing on Elijah. I can just hear him. Of course you DO have the most wonderful children. We have the most wonderful grandchildren and that is something you don't have. haha