Saturday, November 25, 2006

99 cent undies and other great deals

Today I took Elijah & Toviel to the mall. My reason for wanting to go was because it was -25C or something like that today and I needed to stretch my legs and at the same time Elijah could go to the "Kids at Play" place in Market Mall. He loves it there.
I also feel it is my solemn duty to show people how cool baby slings are. Every baby deserves constant contact with their mama and slings are the perfect way to do that. And the mall is the perfect place to show that. I will demonstrate later on.

Everything was going great until the mall was in view. It was then that I realized I had picked a Saturday to go to the mall. Not only that, but it was exactly one month until Christmas and people have started Christmas shopping in hoards. I forget that basically everyone has Christmas shopping to do because I finished mine in September. Yes, that's right - September. I'm all done. No stress for me!
Needless to say, my choice and time of activity for the day was not the brightest. I was worried I would not find a place to park in the heated underground parking and have to take my little baby out into the cold. But I found a spot just 2 spaces away from the door that links the underground parking with the mall. God bless the people who invented special courtesy parking spaces reserved for pregnant women and parents with infants. God bless them.

We mosied around the mall and Elijah & I played at "Kids at Play" while Toviel napped in his sling.
Later, somehow I ended up at The Bay. The Bay strikes me as one of those ritzy stores that charges more than the other stores do who sell the same product. I don't buy often at The Bay. But we do stop in to play with the toys. Although today we never did end up looking at the toys since Elijah fell asleep in his stroller, so I meandered around. And I found the unlikeliest deals at what I thought was the unlikeliest store!

I found 2 pairs of dress pants (I have none, so this is exciting) on a clearance of a clearance rack. These pants are regular $50. I got them for $9. And, may I boast that they are a size 4? I only point this out because I just grew and gave birth to my 2nd child just 4 months ago. 4 months ago.
And what's this? A bin of ginch on sale? Hmmmmm...
I believe it was Warrick on CSI who said there was nothing sadder than tattered undies. This was my chance to rid myself of my old tattered undies and get new ones!! Joe Boxer ones! Regular $8.50, on for, brace yourself, $0.99! Score!!!!!!! Cheaper than Fruit of the Loom!
I bought 12. (I didn't want to go overboard or anything.)
Anyways, the bin was right by the checkout. And the checkout had a consistent line of 15 people waiting to buy their stuff. And all these people had nothing to do but stare at me as I selectively chose which underwear to buy. And they did. All of them. But that's okay, because I got undies for $0.99 each! Ninety-nine cents.

Back to the sling thing. Whenever I go out people gawk at my infant in his sling and smile and say things like, "What a good idea!" (as if it's a new concept) or "Where did you get that?" etc. A couple people have said "Oh that's so cute! Look at that baby in a bag."
Baby in a bag????
Anyways, today three people approached me and asked where they could buy a sling like mine for an expectant friend or relative. So I told them and went on to say its wonderful and how a crying baby is usually instantly soothed when folded up and plopped into a sling and how nice it is to be able to carry on some of your normal daily tasks while still carrying your baby. I promote slings. Maybe someday I will even start making slings for people. Slings are great. And I'm happy to advertise that.

When I finished talking to the last person who asked me, I thought to myself, wouldn't it be great if these people would ask about Jesus instead. "Oh! What a great idea! Where did you get that Jesus? I want to get one!"

No comments: