Thursday, November 23, 2006

Perpetual Motion

Today I took the boys to an AP Playgroup that we sorta joined in the fall. Today was my second time going. I'm not a very faithful attender.

When we first arrived, Toviel was sleeping. When I brought him into the house he was still sleeping.

Rule #22 in my parenting style is "Never wake a sleeping healthy baby."

So I left him sleeping and just set his bucket car seat in the corner of the room.
Elijah spotted the playdough on the table and plopped himself down to play with it before I even had a chance to take my sweater off.

Here's where perpetual motion comes into play. I took off my sweater and was standing beside the table talking to Elijah and to another mom. After about 2 or 3 minutes, I realize that I am swaying, rocking and bouncing my sweater up and down. Am I trying to lull my sweater into a deep sleep? Or am I attempting to soothe my screaming sweater?
I feel so weird without a little one in my arms. I have come to the conclusion that I am in a constant state of motion except for when I am sleeping. This has been brought about by years (well....2.5 years) of motherhood.
Toviel has spent most of his life in my arms, or in a sling I'm wearing, or strapped to me with a wrap. And he loves to shake and move. And now, I cannot stop myself from moving.

So here I am at this playgroup with a bunch of people I have either just met or have met 1 other time, rocking my sweater to sleep. Where's my baby?? Wake up baby! I need you so I don't look so stupid!

No comments: