Monday, December 11, 2006

14 More Sleeps

Christmas is just 14 sleeps away! Fourteen!! I am so excited!

The biggest reason why I am excited is because I can't wait to see how Elijah responds to the Christmas festivities this year. He is at such a fun age. And I can't wait to give him his gifts. I am sooooo excited!!

I, however, do not believe that I am half as excited as my sister. My sister is a Christmas freak. She looses all ability to reason on Christmas morning. She is like a little child on Christmas morning. But she's 35. She is the reason why I was never able to sleep in on Christmas morning. Ever.
I would get woken up at 5:30 in the morning by her. "Merry Christmas!!" she would say quietly and then add that she waited as long as she could to wake me up. We would open our stockings together and sometimes she would coherse me into helping her wake up my brothers (who never responded as nicely to the early morning call as I did).

Yes, my sister is a giddy child on Christmas morning. We will be celebrating the Christmas season with my family (mom & dad, sister and her hubby) in Prince George this year. And although I love my sister and her excitement, I am happy to report that we will not be sleeping at her house, so I hope to sleep in a little later than 5:30 am.

I am one of those "Let's wait to open our gifts to prolong the anticipation" people.
In fact, as a child I had to spend one Christmas away from my family. When 6 pm rolled around (back in the days when the cheaper long distance rate was after 6 pm) I got a call from, you guessed it, my sister. She wanted to know what I got.
And I couldn't tell her, because there under my little 2 foot tree was all my gifts - still wrapped. She made me open them up right then. I wanted to wait a little longer. (I think part of it was because that's all I had that year for Christmas. No family or friends around - just gifts.)

This year my wake up call will likely be Elijah - as it is every morning (no 5:30 am phone calls please, Monica). Only on Christmas morning I won't be so ticked off that morning has already arrived.

No comments: