Sunday, December 3, 2006

More Prime Rib Please

This past summer my dear sweet husband did some volunteering for the local Community Centre. They were so very grateful that they gave him a gift certificate to Smuggler's Inn, a fancy restaurant in Calgary.

Yesterday we decided to use the gift certificate. So we trapsed on over to Smuggler's Inn and ordered ourselves a couple prime rib meals. Now, I'd have prefered a burger, but they didn't have burgers on the menu (Cris says I'm a cheap date). And since prime rib was their specialty that's what we ordered.

The smallest meal was a 12 oz prime rib. TWELVE ounces!! I wanted to split one, but I was met with "No way man! I want my own!!" when I posed the question. So we each got our own. Included with this was an all-you-can-eat soup and salad bar.

Mmmmmmmm.

After stuffing my face with salads of different sorts, our prime rib arrived at the table. Cris ordered a medium-rare and I ordered well-done. I was looking forward to a steak of sorts. You see, I've never had prime rib. So I was expecting some sort of a steak. But what was put infront of me was basically an entire small roast. All to myself - except a tiny peice that I gave to Elijah.

It tasted pretty good, but only because it was free. My mom makes way better roasts than that. Fourteen times better at least. They are juicy with endless amounts of gravy and ketchup. My prime rib came with only a spoonful of gravy and no ketchup.

Cris' prime rib tasted quite different due to its uncooked nature. It was soft and juicy, not dry like mine. I forced myself to eat one little bite. I have a hard time bringing myself to eat raw meat (I know it's not raw, but in my mind.....it's raw), so I just pictured a peice of brown, well-cooked meat, closed my eyes, and ate a bite. It was yummy. But also revolting at the same time.

Cris ate his entire 12 ounces, save for the bite I ate and a little bit of fat he cut off. And he was very full. I think he's still quite full a day later. I, on the other hand, was snacking on some of Elijah's organic chocolate cookies on the way home (after we stopped at the airport to pick up a friend).
I brought home most of my roast. Elijah and I will eat the remaining 10 ounces (with some ketchup) over the next couple days while Cris is out of town.

No comments: