Friday, December 8, 2006

What to do with all that money?

Cris was not feeling well this morning. It is near impossible for him to rest while we are home, so we packed up and headed out. We ended up going to Chinook Mall because it's too cold out to be outside.

It was in this mall that I saw the most ridiculous Christmas decorations I had ever seen. No, wait, those inflatable snowmen and santa clause's that some people put up in their yard are the most ridiculous decorations I have ever seen. What I saw today was a close second.

In the middle of mall they had hung these huge snowflakes with lights in them. These snowflakes changed color. I had sat down there to nurse Toviel because it was a convienient place just in front of our exit where our car was parked, when I heard over a loudspeaker, "Ladies and Gentlemen! The Chinook Mall is proud to present ....." I didn't hear the name of the presentation. Then the music started and the snowflakes started to change color in sequence and then spotlights turned on and were shining down on these ginormous silly snowflakes. What struck me as funny was that people were stopping and raving about this "show" in the middle of the mall. I overheard one man say, "Oh...have you seen this?" to his presumed wife. Then he continued, "It's beautiful!!" You'd think these gawking people were standing in the bottom of the Grand Canyon or touring around The Bay of Fundy. Beautiful? Hmmmmm. I don't know. Northern Lights are beautiful. Ocean shores are beautiful. Mountains? Beautiful. But these snowflakes? Um....

I DO really like Christmas lights. I think houses lit up are pretty. But I think the fact that this was SO BIG and in a mall, it just seemed to be, well, foolish. I explained to Elijah that there was just too much money in North America.

No comments: